Skip to main content
11:00 pm
>> i've got to let it out. >> i think anderson cooper is high. how else do you explain that? [ applause ] >> the word pussy willow is not that funny. no word is that funny. nothing has ever been that funny. i like to see drug tests all around. and get a sample from wolf blitzer while you're at it. he's starting to look like the guy on the zigzag packet. >> first, let's see the zigzag packet of which mr. kimmel speaks. all right. there might be a slight resemblance. the zigzag guy might look a little younger. it's hard to tell. i was talking to jimmy kimmel about this at a white house correspondence dinner and i asked him about his story about my "ridiculist" outburst.
11:01 pm
speaker boehner kept his job. not everyone is happy. and a columnist suggests that president obama is a disappointment. and when police would be able to
11:02 pm
confiscate your guns. let's go "outfront." >> good evening, everyone. i'm erin burnett. the last time the first round of voting was too close was 1983. he got only six more than the bare minimum to keep his job. as for the tears they did come from none other than john bainer in -- boehner to his party members after the narrow victory. >> if you come here humbled by the opportunity to serve, if
11:03 pm
you've come here to be the determined voice of the people, if you've come here to carry the standard of leadership, demanded not by our constituents, but by the times, then you've come to the right place. >> outfront tonight, one republican who did not support john boehner today was not moved by those tears. freshman congressman, ted yoho of florida. today was your first day in congress and you came out with a strong statement. let me just play for you how your vote for speaker went down. here it is. >> you voted for majority leader eric cantor, not john boehner. that took some guts on your first day. how come? >> erin, what we did is we are challenging leadership to let
11:04 pm
him know we're going to hold him accountable, just like i get held accountable in my district by our constituents. we want to let him know we're watching. we're willing to work with leadership and i look forward to doing that. that's why i stuck with the republican party with mr. cantor. >> you were quoted in the national journal as saying, "career politicians created this mess, or at least they didn't do anything to prevent it." >> right. >> so you term limited yourself, you said, to eight years. so should everyone face that limit, even those already in office? >> well, i think people ought to limit themselves. you know, i set that limit of eight years, because i figured that was good enough for george washington, it's good enough for me. you know, the founders didn't intend for us to make a living out of this or that long of a career. that's for each person to decide. me, personally, i decided for eight years. it goes back to what i said there. you know, our message that got us here was that the career politicians did get us here. and they either led us to where we were at or they failed to
11:05 pm
prevent it. neither is acceptable. this is a time we need to put america first, not so much a political party, the parties are important, but it's more important to put our country first. and i look forward to doing that and i let leadership know that i'm willing to work for them, work with them, but yet, i'm also willing to stand up against them. >> and, let me ask you, though, in terms of john boehner. you know, now he's won, you didn't vote for him, but he's going to be leading your party, he's the speaker of the house. so the bill that he allowed to come to the floor, the fiscal cliff bill that is now law, that the president has signed, would you have supported the speaker and voted for that, or would you, like eric cantor, have gone against the speaker? >> i would have gone against that. you know, with what i've read. >> and then how can you then vote for john boehner -- i know you voted for eric cantor, but how can you say you're going to work with john boehner and go along with him when you totally disagreed with what he did? >> well, what we have to do is be able to stand up and willing to challenge them on the tough
11:06 pm
decisions and hopefully be a part of that decision making, to where you can say, i don't think that's the right direction or maybe the right messaging that we need to get out. and being willing to stand up and do that, i think, is more important that they know where you come from, from the very beginning, but yet, let them know that you're going to work with leadership, because he is our leader. and i'm 100% behind him, just like mr. obama, president obama is our president. and, you know, they are the people in charge right now. and so we've got to do the best we can. and again, this goes back to do the best we can for the country. and that's what i'm up here for. >> let me ask you, some people might listen to you right now and say, all right, you're going to be one of those people who's never going to vote for taxes to go up. you're going to be on the more right wing of your party. you know, a lot of others like you have been causing problems for john boehner. but yet, those people might be surprised that you said you will not sign grover norquist's pledge on taxes. so, it sounds like you're saying, look, i'm willing for taxes to go up in the right situation. >> well, again, you know, if you look over the course of the past 30 to 40 years, the republicans
11:07 pm
have been in charge and the democrats have been in charge. and our country is falling -- it's going in the wrong direction. and this is a time, again, not to put a party first, but put the country first. and if we put the country first, we take the focus off of ourselves in a party, and we put the focus on what's best for this country. and that's what we have to do. and it's going to take a give and take from both sides. >> do you think that republican lawmakers, who supported the fiscal cliff deal, the bill you said you would have voted against, should face primary challenges in 2014? and obviously, that doesn't just include people like john boehner, it includes people like paul ryan. >> well, i think that most of them are going to face challenges, just the way that our electoral process works. but should they? because they voted that way? that's for their constituents to decide, not me. and their constituents will let them know. >> all right, well, congressman yoho, nice to meet you, although virtually, thanks. >> erin, appreciate it. same here. >> we'll see you again soon. now let's bring in john avalon, cnn contributor of "newsweek"
11:08 pm
and the daily beast. what do you make of that? come in on day one and make a stand against boehner? but you're not signing the grover norquist tax pledge. it's hard to read that. >> a bold move on day one to go against speaker boehner. he clearly did it from a position of principle. he took on a republican congressman, ran a great ad, depicting politicians as pigs at the trough. he's got a very anti-establishment message. and to his credit, he says, look, we need to find a way to work against party lines and he's not signing any pledges. that's a hopeful pledge. but i was really struck, not just by his vote, but the dozen or so folks that voted against boehner and how close this came. >> six votes? >> yeah. >> that's pretty incredible. >> erin, we discussed, sources on the hill have been saying for weeks, boehner's safe, boehner's safe, this turned out to be a real nail biter. it does show that boehner's got a real problem holding together his conference. the lessons he takes from it will be fascinating. but the vote revealed the fault
11:09 pm
lines beneath the republican party. i mean, when you see, paul brewnan and louie gohmert voting for alan west, that's one segment of the republican party. and it really does show that john boehner -- >> there were some interesting write-ins there. >> i personally kind of dug the colin powell write-in, but it is a significant thing, because boehner's a deal maker. and to some extent, he's being punished for it by the far right of his own party. and that's one possible outcome. around 50 votes, he can't count on if he does anything with democrats. that's the reality of divided country. >> right, when he put forth the so-called plan "b," it got shot down, because there were some republicans that wouldn't allow taxes to go up on anybody. >> and they ended up getting a worse deal. if those 50 or so folks saying we're fiscal conservative absolutists had backed boehner, they probably would have got a better deal on taxes and maybe even a grand bargain that dealt with entitlement reform as well. of course, the bill that passed didn't have anything of it.
11:10 pm
>> people like congressman yoho will be some very interesting ones to watch. by the way, fascinating man. large animal veterinarian. >> large animal vet. we need more of those in congress. >> and there's a reindeer farmer, also. >> yes, there is. >> in congress. this will be fun. "outfront" next, a prominent newspaper columnist slams president obama. it caught our eye. that's next. and an update on hillary clinton and her condition, and what she says she's going to do about that benghazi testimony we've all been waiting for. and a new report from the pentagon reveals some, well, totally new details about iran's spies. power down your little word game. i think your friends will understand. oh no, it's actually my geico app...see? ...i just uh paid my bill. did you really? from the plane? yeah, i can manage my policy, get roadside assistance, pretty much access geico 24/7. sounds a little too good to be true sir. i'll believe that when pigs fly.
11:11 pm
ok, did she seriously just say that? geico. just click away with our free mobile app. everything you can fit vo: in this bag is 20% off. saving 20% on everything your company needs. it's a big deal. check your december 30th sunday paper or print the coupon at officemax.com. i have a cold, and i took nyquil, but i'm still "stubbed" up. [ male announcer ] truth is, nyquil doesn't unstuff your nose. what? [ male announcer ] it doesn't have a decongestant. no way. [ male announcer ] sorry. alka-seltzer plus fights your worst cold symptoms plus has a fast acting decongestant to relieve your stuffy nose. [ sighs ] thanks! [ male announcer ] you're welcome. that's the cold truth! [ male announcer ] alka-seltzer plus. ♪ oh what a relief it is! ♪ [ male announcer ] to learn more about the cold truth and save $1 visit alka-seltzer on facebook.
11:12 pm
11:13 pm
11:14 pm
our second story "outfront," slamming the president. "washington post" reporter and columnist david ignatius, who has covered six american presidents, suggests president obama is a disappointment. here's ignatius. "outfront" tonight, former white house deputy press secretary, bill burton. great to see both of you. bill, there were some pretty harsh words here, tough words. obviously, david ignatius saying, here's how the president could turn it around, but pretty frustrated with his leadership on fiscal issues. and of course, we just had a deal that ended up boosting spending and slashing revenue, which is not sort of the whole goal, right? so what do you think about david ignatius' point? the president needs to be bigger
11:15 pm
and come up with a plan? >> well, it's hard for me to see how somebody on the left, anybody who supports the president, could be disappointed with the deal that the president just got. think of what just happened. he got republicans to vote for a tax increase for the first time since 1990. he saved unemployment insurance, extended it, without having pay-fors in it. extended the earned income tax credit, extended the wind energy tax credit. and even got the rates back to where he wanted to get the rates. now, we're in a divided government. you're not going to get every single thing that you want, but the president got some really big things, made some real progress. and if you look at the base line that everybody compares, you know, where the budget is to everything else, actually, this does cut the deficit by $737 billion. so i think the president made big progress here and we're going to have to see going forward how we're going to be able to deal with the looming crisis that we face in the next couple of months. >> bill burton has just shown why he was the deputy press secretary. and i mean that, bill, as a compliment.
11:16 pm
but, in all seriousness, he's giving the spin on that. so what do you say? >> well, i think that when you look at president obama's priorities, it's important to keep in mind that deficit reduction isn't necessarily his biggest priority right now, for the simple reason that there's a lot of anxiety among folks in the white house that if you have too fast of fiscal contraction, it can be really bad for the economy. so i think from his perspective, he's not necessarily prioritizing reforming medicare and what have you over the long-term. he wants to be sure to have a successful presidency and to protect his legacy. and the core of his legacy is actually his health care reform. so if he has that in place, i think he believes -- >> so he doesn't care about this stuff, is what you're saying? >> i'm not going to say that he doesn't care, but i think what he would like is a deal in which he gets some credit for a very modest tweak to social security and get republican buy-in in on that. that way he feels like a bipartisan leader. but fundamentally, i don't think he really cares about near-term deficits all that much. >> bill, is that fair, or should the president be stepping up and saying, look, here is my vision on reforming entitlements.
11:17 pm
we can't afford the promises that we've made. i am now done after this term, so i'll give you the tough love and put that plan forward and give you a major legacy? >> i don't think that necessarily stands up to where you've seen the president. the president, first of all, in health care reform, there is some medicare reform. secondly, what he was attacked for, relentlessly for republicans all through this last cycle. second of all, the president has said repeatedly in his public remarks that he is very committed to medicare reform. the problem is you've got mitch mcconnell out there saying that he doesn't have a dance partner on the dance floor, but the president doesn't have somebody he can work with in the house. when john boehner comes to the table and he can't even bring his deputy or his third in command to vote for the deal that he is agreeing to, i think you've got a real crisis of leadership in the house. and so the president showed that even in that case, he can get a deal that moves the ball forward for the country, but going forward, you just wonder, how much control does boehner have over the folks in the house and what kind of deals are we going to be able to get? >> reihan, just to the point, he
11:18 pm
could say, i am going to set a vision for what america must be. that's what david ignatius is saying he's not doing. is that charge fair? >> i think that's absolutely fair, but the mistake is this, president obama doesn't really care about this kind of grand bargain approach. he wants to be sure that his expansion of the welfare state and health reform is there, is durable, that it lasts beyond his presidency. and i think that's why it's really a waiting game, rather than about getting a big deficit bargain. >> well, he got a few taxes. a lot of little sneaky medicare taxes. >> a lot more tax on the health reform. >> david ignatius goes on, though, to talk about the president's strategy in terms of filling his cabinet. also critical on that. he says, he floated the names of susan rice and chuck hagel out there for secretary of defense and secretary of state. ignatius then says, "obama has been backing into the second term in his cabinet choices, too. these are unnecessary, self-inflicted wounds for the administration." also criticizing how he handles that.
11:19 pm
so making small decisions, not big ones. >> well, i'm sort of surprised to see that from david ignatius, frankly. because this isn't the first time he's seen a nomination process where names leak out, people rise to the top, fall to the bottom. >> yeah. >> for starters, susan rice is one of the most talented people in this administration and would have been an awesome secretary of state. but she pulled out because it was her decision to stop all the distractions that she was causing. so to criticize the president for the noise that republicans make or the noise that anybody else is making from the outside on people who haven't even been chosen for cabinet posts is silly on its face. it's washington and that's the washington game that people play. >> bill has a fair point. something leaks out, it gets tested and then the president doesn't have to waste his political capital on defend being susan rice. >> well, there are folks who are defenders of susan rice and chuck hagel would put it somewhat differently. their view is, they don't have the white house's opposition team. they don't have formidable folks
11:20 pm
like bill burton who are arguing on their behalf. their names were floated, put out there pretty much on their own. and then allowed the slings and arrows to come their way. if you have the formal backing of the white house, then you can make it more of a fight. my own view is that both of those names that were floated were not necessarily the best choices for the country. but regardless, if you actually are going to back them, you ought to back them 100%. >> all right. well, thanks very much to both of you. we appreciate it, both very formidable. >> chris lawrence is "outfront" >> reporter: the options are on the table. at the low end, a little more than 6,000 troops, mostly special operations forces hunting terrorists, with a small amount of training for afghan forces. the 10,000 option would still
11:21 pm
focus on al qaeda, but would add conventional troops to expand afghan training. a 15,000 option would include even more conventional troops to go on limited patrols and give the afghans even more support. some experts say forget that last option, 15,000. >> it's not politically tenable within congress. it's not doable from a budget execution perspective. >> reporter: analyst stephanie sanok worked in baghdad and developed options for the iraq drawdown. she says between war fatigue and spending cuts, even the middle option may be a reach. >> my guess is you will end up closer to the 6,000 person option than the 10,000 person option. >> reporter: analyst jeff dressler argues the u.s. will still have to keep helicopter crews, medical teams, and other backup for whatever troops are left. >> just keeping 6,000 probably isn't that much cheaper than just keeping 15,000, because there's basic things that you need to have there just for the 6. >> reporter: dressler says
11:22 pm
lowball options are minimizing the danger any remaining troops could face. >> i would argue that even with 20,000 troops, you're still assuming quite a bit of risk. it's by no means a low-risk option. >> general john alan presented these options in one of his last acts as commander. but general joseph dunfer, the man taking alan's place next month, admits he wasn't included in the talks over options. that could signal some tense fights with members of congress, who are skeptical of the drawdown plan. >> senator, i have not been included in those conversations. >> boy, that's interesting to me. a guy that's going to take over the command has not even been included in those conversations. >> reporter: so what's the big-picture goal? in an interview with cnn's erin burnett in afghanistan, a defense secretary said the terrorists just have to be defeated, not decimated. >> i think that you can reach a point where you so significantly weaken al qaeda that, you know, although there may still be a
11:23 pm
few people around, they won't be able to conduct the operations that they've conducted in the past. >> all right, chris lawrence is with me now. chris, what i'm curious about, leon panetta in november said to reporters, we'll have a troop count number in a couple weeks from the president. a couple weeks went by, he said, i'll have a troop count number in a couple of weeks. and when i saw him mid-december, he said, some time soon. then we get this range of 6,000 to 15,000. why is it taking so long and why don't we have a real number?
11:24 pm
"outfront" next, sweeping changes to america's gun laws proposed. police could be allowed to confiscate all of your firearms. and a very rare look at iran's spy network. it is a whole lot bigger than anyone in the pentagon thought. this is $100,000. we asked total strangers to watch it for us. thank you so much. i appreciate it. i'll be right back. they didn't take a dime. how much in fees does your bank take to watch your money?
11:25 pm
if your bank takes more money than a stranger, you need an ally. ally bank. your money needs an ally. but don't just listen to me. listen to these happy progressive customers. i plugged in snapshot, and 30 days later, i was saving big on car insurance. with snapshot, i knew what i could save before i switched to progressive. the better i drive, the more i save. i wish our company had something this cool. you're not filming this, are you? aw! camera shy. snapshot from progressive. test-drive snapshot before you switch. visit progressive.com today. aww man. [ male announcer ] returns are easy with free pickup from the u.s. postal service. we'll even drop off boxes if you need them. visit usps.com pay, print, and have it picked up for free. any time of year. ♪
11:26 pm
nice sweater. thank you. ♪
11:27 pm
11:28 pm
11:29 pm
11:30 pm
hillary clinton will be back to work next week. she said clinton is committed to testifying on the benghazi attacks.
11:31 pm
it's been 518 days since the united states lost its top credit rating. what are we doing to get it back? well, today there was some good news on jobs. apparently we had 215,000 jobs added in december, more than economists were looking for. of course, the formal jobs number comes out tomorrow. and now our fourth story "outfront." a potentially major change to gun laws in the united states. a maryland task force on guns and the mentally ill, here it is, it's a pretty interesting report, recommends that police should have the right to con phys case firearms from anyone who is deemed to be, quote, a threat to self or others. tonight, charles sophie and paul callan, who also represents psychiatrists in medical malpractice cases. so reading through this task force series of recommendations, they say, look, the biggest indicator that someone could be a problem to public safety or a threat would be if they make a threat.
11:32 pm
what this law would do is, it would put in law enforcement's hands the idea of deciding whether you're mentally ill or not. and then making a determination as to wether or not your weapons would be seized. under current law, if you are a threat to me, i can have you arrested now. you don't need a new law to do that. as a matter of fact, the law requires a psychiatrist to turn you in. as i'm sure dr. sophie will agree with me. >> all right, so dr. sophie, let me ask you, maryland already does have a law saying that people with mental illness who have been hospitalized for more than 30 days for mental illness oer a history of mental illness, they're already not allowed to own firearms. so this extra step that paul's talking about, where you would
11:33 pm
take guns away from people who make threats against other people, is that necessary? >> yes, i definitely think that at some point, in certain people, they should have that extra step. because let me tell you, there are people out there who don't verbalize a lot of the things that they're thinking and will act. so we're really talking about a competency issue, not necessarily somebody with just a mental illness. and those it may seem discriminatory, it really is about the safety of that person as well as society. >> well, unless psychiatrists have developed some sort of a brain scan that could determine what people who are mentally disturbed are inking, there's no way to enforce this law. millions of people in this country are on psychotropic medications right now, probably half the population of manhattan. are we going to look in all of their homes to see if they have guns because they're suffering from mental illness? it's just an unenforceable law. >> dr. sophy, what's your response to that? you think about depression, people are hospitalized for that, that's a mental illness, a lot of people have dealt with that, are people who have had depression should be allowed to
11:34 pm
have guns? >> absolutely not. i know there needs to be a discussion, we'll start a discussion about the ability to keep people safer in all areas. but at that table has to be the law people, the medical people, children's and patients' rights people. all of the kinds of hipaa stuff that has to go into it. because anybody on a psychotropic medication should not be deemed incompetent not and able to have a gun, it is a process.
11:35 pm
11:36 pm
11:37 pm
has to be able to make the best decision that they can and gather the most information to make an informed decision. certainly nobody should be
11:38 pm
hospitalized against their will or inappropriately but i try to make the best decision but gather the most information. >> thank you very much, both of you. tough one. could make some real changes in gun policy law. let us know what you think about that. a new government report says iran has built a dangerous spy network with tens of thousands of people working for it. these are numbers that shocked many at the pentagon. tonight we have details how they operate, how they're killing brian todd is out front. >> assassination plots, terrorist bombings, cyberwarfare, tactics used by iran's intelligence service. that's according to a new report by government researchers commissioned by the pentagon. the report says iran's ministry 100,000 in the 17 u.s. intelligence agencies and offices. >> from the standpoint of u.s.
11:39 pm
national security, western national security, what's the most dangerous operation that iranian intelligence has its hand in, do you think? >> well, i think the most dangerous thing they do, is terrorism. they have for decades now, developed networks with other terrorist groups, so they themselves don't necessarily have to do something. they can contract it out, they can encourage others to engage in terrorism against the united states and our allays. >> reporter: a former cia officer who tracked iranian intelligence through the middle east says the iranian agency of intelligence and security used to conduct most iranian-sponsored assassinations overseas. he says that unit killed the former iranian prime minister, assassinated in paris in 1991. but guret says now those operations have shifted to the feared quds force, the shadowy iranian military unit that's part of the revolutionary guard. what's the military of intelligence's biggest job now?
11:40 pm
>> they're primarily used as an instrument of oppression, they know how to hurt people. >> reporter: the report also says the quds force is inside syria, backing president bashar al assad's forces. separate from the report, congressman peter king, chairman of the homeland security committee, has said that iran runs spies out of its mission to the u.n. and here at the iranian intrasection in washington. king made those comments after a plot was revealed to assassinate saudi arabia's ambassador to the u.s. the iranian-american who pleaded guilty in that case said he'd worked with iranian military people to formulate the plot. in the wake of that, king called for strong retaliation against iranian diplomats in the u.s. >> we, to me, should get rid of either all of them or most of them and send a clear signal. >> reporter: iranian officials denied any role in trying to assassinate the saudi ambassador in washington. we called and e-mailed iran's mission to the u.n. for comment
11:41 pm
on the latest report on the country's intelligence operations. we got no response. brian todd, cnn, washington. and still to come, shocking allegations of rape in ohio. a video posted to the web of someone joking about the alleged attack has led to two arrests. and russian president vladimir putin continues his quest for power. you won't believe what we saw today. that nasty odor coming from your washer. you've tried different ways to get rid of it... but they all just hit a dead end. time to say farewell to the smell with tide washing machine cleaner. it goes straight to the source of the stink to lift odor-causing residues off your washer's drum so your washer will smell clean and fresh. there's no room for a stinky washer. tide washing machine cleaner. visit tide.com to find out more. your doctor will say get smart about your weight. that's why there's glucerna hunger smart shakes. they have carb steady, with carbs that digest slowly
11:42 pm
to help minimize blood sugar spikes. [ male announcer ] glucerna hunger smart. a smart way to help manage hunger and diabetes. mine was earned off vietnam in 1968. over the south pacific in 1943. i got mine in iraq, 2003. usaa auto insurance is often handed down from generation to generation. because it offers a superior level of protection, and because usaa's commitment to serve the military, veterans and their families is without equal. begin your legacy, get an auto insurance quote.
11:43 pm
usaa. we know what it means to serve.
11:44 pm
our fifth story "outfront," shocking allegations of rape. two high school football
11:45 pm
players? steubenville, ohio, have been arrested and charged with raping a 16-year-old girl. after images and stories of the alleged assault began circulating on the web. the story actually started to unravel back in august, on the 11th of august, when a couple of teenagers started tweeting about the alleged crime after a night of drinking and partying. one of the tweets, "song of the night is definitely rape me by nirvana." an image of the girl being carried by two boys soon appeared on the internet, then a second video was posted on youtube, which was apparently recorded on the night of the attack. in it, a teenager from steuben highly reportedly jokes about the rape. we're going to show it to you, but we want to warn you, it's disturbing to watch. >> that's like rape. it is rape. i raped her.
11:46 pm
>> cnn's national correspondent, susan candiotti, is outfront tonight. i mean, that is -- that is horrific to hear. what is the defense saying? is there any evidence that others might be involved? do they know all the players? >> well, in terms of the defense, i had an opportunity to speak at great length on the phone with one of the defense attorneys for the defendant, trent mays, and he maintains that no rape occurred and he raised the question that if prosecutors tried to say that a rape did occur, that he said, if there is possible evidence of that, that he plans to counterargue, that if there was any evidence of possible sexual activity, he will challenge whether it was, in fact, consensual. he says that his client is the boyfriend of the alleged victim of this case. but he denies anything happened. >> he denies anything happened. despite what you hear there. they're going to say that's horsing around? >> he denies there was rape.
11:47 pm
>> obviously a big reason that anybody knows about this, the reason is because of what they posted on the web and social media. the hacker group anonymous has become involved in this, a very high-profile group. how come? >> well, you know, this exploded, as you talked about, after it happened, on social media. and authorities had to sift through all of this. anonymous saw what was happening and decided to post a lot of these things online, hack into some people's e-mails that may only peripherally be involved in this case, and put it all out there to make sure that the public was aware of it. perhaps legally, perhaps illegally, all of that unclear, but authorities have to now sift through all of this. and perhaps, in part, they even prompted a couple of protests. in fact, there will be another protest on the courthouse steps about this, this weekend. >> interesting. vigilante justice, and of course, raising the question.
11:48 pm
case have gone anywhere, made it to a prosecutor? >> well, in a just world the answer is of course it would have. it's an outrage and a horrific crime of such proportions. but the fact is, rape is not only underreported, it's grossly prosecuted. they do not bring charges in these types of cases because rape is not a respected crime in this country and that's primarily because women, as equal citizens in this country, are not respected. >> susan candiotti, as you heard, spent extensive time talking to the defense attorney.
11:49 pm
the boy involved was boyfriend and the girl involved was girlfriend and there was consent. is it possible that that could be a viable defense? >> well, if she was 16 at the time, then it's a viable defense as a matter of law. would it prevail? not if she was in the condition that the photographs suggest and that everyone is saying she was in which is completely unconscious. i dare the defense attorney to argue to a jury that a woman who is completely passed out was consenting to anything. any more than you could argue to a jury that a guy who's passed out was consenting when he signed away the deed to his house or gave you his wallet. and can i say one more thing about social media? because we want to celebrate, even though anonymous is a controversial group, i want to celebrate for what anonymous did here. people going to the internet are
11:50 pm
now able to share information in a way that will hold prosecutors and law enforcement officials accountable every time when they don't proceed with a case and people think it's unjust, this is, as you said, a form of vigilantism, only it's a good kind. instead of going out with gun and shooting the people when we can't get justice, we're going to use the internet to hold government officials accountable when they don't dot right thing in the name of justice and particularly in terms of rape, only 2% of rapist spent one day behind bars in this country. we're going to see a lot of copycat in the midst of this case and i'm very happy to say that. >> wendy, obviously we just played that clip and i hope our viewers saw it and i don't want to play it again because it was awful to see but you hear the teenage boys joking about what the alleged rapist did, right? raped her better than mike tyson did, going through things like that.
11:51 pm
now, what could happen here for -- will there ever been any sort of repercussions for people who do that, for laugh, go along with, support, do that on social media, not actually doing the rape but doing all that other stuff? >> right. it's a good question. i think the law has not yet caught up with the kind of harm that can be caused in that manner. i can't think of a crime that they can be charged with. i think it's possible that they could be sued for intentional infliction of emotional distress as to the victim or, look, they should be shamed. shame is grossly underutilized in this country. we she had all know who they are and shame them but i don't see them being charged with a crime per se. >> wendy murphy, thank you very much. >> you bet. >> and we'll be right back. about health care... th se i tuned it all out. with unitedhealthcare, i get information that matters... my individual health profile. not random statistics. they even reward me for addressing my health risks.
11:52 pm
so i'm doing fine... but she's still going to give me a heart attack. we're more than 78,000 people looking out for more than 70 million americans. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare. but they haven't experienced extra strength bayer advanced aspirin. in fact, in a recent survey, 95% of people who tried it agreed that it relieved their headache fast. visit fastreliefchallenge.com today for a special trial offer.
11:53 pm
11:54 pm
11:55 pm
taxes. we all despise paying them. but no matter what happens here, we're not going to have it as bad as they might in france. despite the fact that france's constitutional court ruled that france proposed tax plan is illegal and unfair, the french president is still trying to find a way to raise the tax rate on the wealthiest in his country from 41% to 75%. and you're complaining, america? as you can imagine, many in france are not very happy about this and some like actor gerard depardieu say they will abandon france rather than pay, give up their citizenship. but where will depardieu go? originally he would end up in
11:56 pm
bell gain where he owns a house but now there is another contender him. russia. putin has said he will grant citizenship because artists are easily offended and therefore i understand the feelings of depardieu. this is the same putin that had them locked up for rioting. is he he a big fan of his movies or just trying to get attention for himself? because everything putin does, usually shirtless, by the way, seems to, well, you know, promote vladimir putin and the toy industry, take a look at this ultra realistic vladimir putin doll. it comes dressed in a suit and tie and includes a wrist watch, a podium, a bound copy and a second set of hands.
11:57 pm
of course, the big question is, who would you buy this vladimir putin doll for? what kind of weirdo would want to play with putin all day? the answer is me. i was lucky to receive my very own putin. he'll be making appearances on who do you think i am, quicken loans? ♪ at quicken loans, our amazingly useful mortgage calculator app allows you to quickly calculate your mortgage payment based on today's incredibly low interest rates... right from your iphone or android smartphone. one more way quicken loans is engineered to amaze. ♪
11:58 pm
to divvy up this shared data plan...fairly. so, um, whoever's fathered the most children, gets the most data. let's just do it by hair. body hair? most dental work. what? [ phones buzzing and beeping ] stop downloading, and stop liking everything. it should be by who has the least amount of cartilage in their left knee. [ mom ] i just want to take a bath. [ male announcer ] say no to sharing. say yes to sprint. with truly unlimited data, text and calling. with truly unlimited ...so as you can see, geico's customer satisfaction is at 97%.
11:59 pm
mmmm tasty. and cut! very good. people are always asking me how we make these geico adverts. so we're taking you behind the scenes. this coffee cup, for example, is computer animated. it's not real. geico's customer satisfaction is quite real though. this computer-animated coffee tastes dreadful. geico. 15 minutes could save you 15 % or more on car insurance. someone get me a latte will ya, please?

tv
Erin Burnett Out Front
CNN January 3, 2013 11:00pm-12:00am PST

News/Business. Erin Burnett. (2013)

TOPIC FREQUENCY Boehner 11, John Boehner 9, Geico 7, Washington 7, U.s. 5, France 5, Us 5, Susan Rice 4, Pentagon 4, Iran 4, America 4, Usaa 3, Erin 3, Clinton 3, Bill Burton 3, Obama 3, Cnn 3, United States 2, Ohio 2, Benghazi 2
Network CNN
Duration 01:00:00
Scanned in San Francisco, CA, USA
Source Comcast Cable
Tuner Virtual Ch. 759 (CNN HD)
Video Codec mpeg2video
Audio Cocec ac3
Pixel width 1920
Pixel height 1080
Sponsor Internet Archive
Audio/Visual sound, color


disc Borrow a DVD of this show
info Stream Only
Uploaded by
TV Archive
on 1/4/2013
Views
172